Friday, August 14, 2009

Wingding font... where to begin?

So, as I'm sure this 'pickle' is one that many of us have pondered, I've taken it upon myself (purely for comedic material) to look into the use & relativity of the Wingding font. Great name... I'll give it that. If you want to design a circus brochure/flier/temporary tattoo/fast-food restaurant tagging concept, or introduce 'symbol speak' at clown school, I'm sure this font is an essential asset (and yes, there is a Clown School in SF - I worked with one of it's students - material on this individual to come in future post). However, beyond those very useful instances, who the hell uses this font and for what? I'll admit that I would love to submit my resume in this font and request that the hiring manager translate its contents to 'uncover' my amazing skill set and that if they declined said task it would be out of laziness. But that will not land me successful positions in Fisherman's Wharf, so I've chosen not to wingding my way into employment at Madam Tussaud's wondrous wax world of wonderment. Stupid move on my part. If I'm going to wantonly and willfully wander my way into a wonderful, wise workplace, I best be knowing what I'm willing to waver. Oh the weak web we weave. Oh how I've gone off on a wicked winging (w)tangent. I must post a link I have found to be quite educational on the usefulness of this font. And boy is it useful.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=offtopic&thread.id=2724256

Heaven forbid we get on the bad side of the 'mods'. Oh shit! Not the Mods. Oh wait, it's not 1995... so why are we worried? But I do respect the Wingding's usage to protect spoilers... I mean that's genius. It's like a secret language... BUT IT'S NOT!! I love this quote: "One of the traditional uses of it has been simply for spoilers. That way if someone is discussing a game or a movie they can post crucial plot points in webdings so as not to ruin it for others. Please refrain from misusing it though." Um, misusing it? How would one misuse your freak speak - um, I mean, your very intricate & creative vernacular usage. It's like a secret code that no one with a brain could ever uncover. This font stumps me... Damn you Wingdings!

No comments:

Post a Comment