Saturday, August 8, 2009

Foot in mouth... Not an abnormal occurence.

So anyone that knows me, knows that I have a tendency to put my foot in my mouth. A lot. Seriously, this happens so often that my friends have almost come to expect it.

1) Most recent instance: Last night I was on a pleasant date and my date and I happened to be walking in the oh-so-lovely Tenderloin, and we passed by an art gallery... We stopped to look at the artwork in the window. The artist has most definitely been influenced by Piet Mondrian... specifically his famous painting 'Broadway Boogie Woogie'. (One of the few things I have some knowledge on is art history as that was my major in college. Well, that and plastic doll sculptures.) So of course, I was very vocal stating the artist's influence (can't recall the copy cat artist's name, unfortunately.) What made things a bit painful was not only the fact that this artist splashed random paint on top of his Mondrian-style painting, but that I, very loudly, stated how bad I thought it was. All the while not knowing that the artist's photo was in the window and the artist himself was poking his head out the side of the gallery. Of course I was absolutely oblivious to this until my date pointed it out, and we briskly walked away trying not to turn back - but of course I did. Oh well... this would not be the first time I've unknowingly offended someone in my presence. Usually I actually like to offend (as a joke, of course), but it seems as though I do it naturally and not intentionally. So be it.

2) Another example of my 'foot in mouth' propensity occurred over a year ago, yet still makes for a good laugh. So a few of my girlfriends and myself were at a local bar we often frequent. This bar also changes the artwork it displays on the walls quite regularly. Well, I have a tendency to be vocal about my thoughts on art. Granted, I realize that it's 'individual' & 'in the eye of the beholder', yet when I really think something sucks, I have to say it. (i.e., Thomas Kinkade - I just had a slight barf reflex even typing his name). SO, here we are at our local bar... we know the owners and feel very welcome and comfortable here. Then my eyes turn to the horrific eye sore on the wall. Um, let's just say that I'm pretty sure my 5 yr old niece could do something far more eccentric & 'ironic' without trying to be eccentric and ironic. Collage. Yes, there on the wall hung a series of collages. For a second I thought I was viewing an angry Academy of Art student's goth display of political & religious angst. But alas, no. So as I'm viewing this collage filled with George Bush photos, crosses, the Virgin Mary, lame political quotes & photos of war torn Iraq all I can think is that the owners took pity on a local middle school student or an Academy student. Of course I waste zero time voicing my utter dislike to the nearest person. I go OFF. I mean I am ranting about the pathetic attempt at political/religious irony and how juvenile it is. I believe I even said 'middle school called, it wants its art project back.' While I'm catching my breath the person to whom I've been ranting says 'um, I'm actually the artist.' Well... what does one do in this sitch? All I said was 'there's no turning back now, is there?' He agreed with me and angrily walked off.

No doubt there are more sitches like this to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment